Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Top Favorite Beach Reads


Full disclosure: I  don't enjoy reading at the actually beach much. Between the sand, and the breeze, and trying to make sure one of kids doesn't drown or get eaten by a shark, I just can't focus on a book.  I prefer to read in my bed, late at night, when all the kids are asleep.  However, I still enjoy the occasional "Beach Reads" which I feel must contain:
1. Romance
2. Happy Endings
3. Fun

Here's my list ( I am forgoing the usual book covers and plot summaries  because just thinking about lying on the beach makes me lazy):



Charms for an Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
Austenland by Shannon Hale (skip the sequel)
The Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares
Lucy Valentine Mysteries by Heather Weber
The Crowning Glory of Cala Lilly Ponder by Rebecca Wells
The Princess Bride-William Goldman
When Zachary Beaver Came to Town-Kimberly Willis Holt
Enchantment-Orson Scott Card
Fairest-Gail Carson Levine
Bella at Midnight-Diane Stanley

Anything by:
Fanny Flagg
Sarah Addison Allen
Janet Evonovich
Mary Higgins Clark(if you're desperate)

If you can handle something a little darker, and need a good suspenseful book to get you through a boring plane ride, I recommend Harlan Coben

If you find post-apocalyptic worlds entertaining, check out my Mom's Guide to Dystopian Lit. 



What are your favorite beach reads and other guilty literary pleasures?

3 comments:

  1. I don't know about "beach reads" but here's a couple books I've read lately you might like. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has been a classic, but I just barely got around to reading it. I can't say how much I loved this book. It is def in my top 5 favorite books of all time. I really bonded with the characters and Betty Smith had a way of making "everyday" life in the early 20th century fascinating to me. Definitely read it!!!

    Also, just finished The Fault in our Stars. Also, excellent read, although I couldn't read it in public because I was weeping half the time. (In a good way!)

    And since you mentioned post apocalyptic, a genre I adore, I'll plug Alas, Babylon. Although it is a far cry from Hunger Games and the like, it seems to be one of the first published books about a fictional atomic bombing in the US that blasts us back to the stone age. It is a lot like Walking Dead (character wise). It wasn't a nail biter, but like I said, it is interesting that it was written in the 50's.

    I'm hosting book club next month on The Poisonwood Bible. It's a thinker, and I love the nitty gritty like that.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn has way to much substance for the beach:) I loved Fault in our Stars too and I know what you mean about crying. Poisonwood Bible is in my all time favorite list. I can really relate when the mom talks about how she mothers from the bottom up-I feel like I do not too. I love all my kids, but your baby will always be your baby. I am adding Alas, Babylon to my list-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily Murdock's If you find me. Fantastic read
    Anything by Kristin Hannah and Jodi Picoult.
    I reach for Robyn Carr for a light read. Easy to skip back to after
    interruptions by kiddos.

    ReplyDelete